SFPE's Technical committees and task groups develop engineering guides, standards, and other technical initiatives of the Society.
Technical Committee News
Subcommittee for Research & Innovation Launches Roadmap that Identifies Research Needs for the Fire Safety Engineering Profession
On Tuesday October 10 at the SFPE North America Conference and Expo in Montreal, Canada, the SFPE Subcommittee for Research and Innovation (SCRI) unveiled SFPEs research roadmap that highlights the research needs for the fire safety engineering profession. This roadmap is intended to be a living document that will be central to defining the future of SFPEs technical initiatives. Its main focus was based on what research is needed by practicing fire safety/protection engineers. The roadmap can be found at http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.sfpe.org/resource/resmgr/Roadmap/SFPE_Research_Roadmap_Final.pdf. Since this is intended to be a living document, the SCRI will always be looking for your feedback on how to improve this document. Please send comments to the SFPE Technical Director at Chris@sfpe.org.
Subcommittee for Standards Oversight Publishes New Technical Document Procedures
The SFPE Subcommittee for Standards Oversight (SCSO) recently published two new policy statements: “SFPE Technical Document Development Procedures” and “ANSI Accredited Standards Development Procedures.” These documents will replace the “SFPE Guide and Engineering Practice Document Development Procedures (June, 2004)” and “SFPE Standards Development Procedures (Approved March, 2005, Revised April, 2008).”
The first new document “SFPE Technical Document Development Procedures” outlines procedures for the:
- Development of Standards that are not accredited by ANSI
- Development of Engineering Guides (note: engineering guides are not accredited by ANSI)
- Role of Subcommittee for Standards Oversight (SCSO)
- Role of Technical committees that develop Standards
- Role Task groups that produce Engineering Guides
The second document “ANSI Accredited Standards Development Procedures” outlines the procedures for standards that will be accredited by ANSI. Both documents can be found on the SFPE Technical Page at http://www.sfpe.org/?page=TechnicalCommittees.
SFPE Seeking Public Comments on Draft Guide to Human Behavior in Fire, 2nd Edition (Deadline to submit comments is December 21, 2017)
The SFPE Human Behavior Task Group is seeking public comments on the 1st draft of the SFPE Guide to Human Behavior in Fire, 2nd Edition
Besides updating all the good information from the 1st edition, the new version will include information on:
- Incapacitating Effects of Fire Effluent & Toxicity Analysis Methods
- Occupant Behavioral Scenarios
- Movement Models and Behavioral Models
- Egress Model Selection, Verification, and Validation
- Estimation of Uncertainty and Use of Safety Factors
- Enhancing Human Response to Emergency Notification and Messaging
To view the document or download a comment form, please click the URL below:
DOWNLOAD COMMENT FORM
Please submit one comment form for each comment to:
- SFPE Technical Director at firstname.lastname@example.org,
- Or fax to 240-328-6225
- Or mail to SFPE Technical Director, 9711 Washingtonian Blvd, Suite 380, Gaithersburg, MD 20878, USA.
All comments require a substantiation to be considered.The deadline to submit comments is December 21, 2017.
If you have any questions, please contact SFPE Technical Director Chris Jelenewicz
, P.E., FSFPE.
Upcoming Technical Committee/Task Group/Working Group Meetings:
- Thursday, November 16, 2017 4pm Eastern Time (-5:00 GMT)
Standards Oversight Committee (SCSO) -- Online
Monday, November 20, 2017 4pm Eastern Time (-5:00 GMT)
SFPE Design Fire Scenarios Committee -- Online
Wednesday, November 22, 2017 8am Eastern Time (-5:00 GMT)
SFPE Risk Task Group – Online
Wednesday, November 29, 2017 4pm Eastern Time (-5:00 GMT)
SFPE Standard S.01 Traveling Fires Working Group -- Online
Current Technical Committees & Task groups
To view a complete list of the standards and guidelines produced by these working groups, visit the SFPE Resource library.